Wednesday, 15 March 2017

Salted Caramel Flapjacks


Salted caramel is a flavour combination I love and recently I've found
a really easy way to add this flavour to flapjacks, a baked treat I make quite
often for the family. I've looked at a few recipes for salted caramel flapjacks
and in most of them you have to make the caramel. It seems to be a bit of a faff,
I just use shop-bought salted caramel sauce. It's easy and quick and the result
has that nice combination of salty and sweet which is what I'm after. I've had to
tweak my recipe a few times but I'm finally happy with it and I thought I'd
share it here with you.


Ingredients:

175 grams   unsalted butter
150 grams  demerara sugar
                     1 tablespoon    golden syrup                           
          3 tablespoons   salted caramel sauce*
350grams  porridge oats
1/2teaspoon   sea salt flakes, plus extra to sprinkle

Pre-heat the oven to 180 C degrees. Grease and line with baking parchment
a square 8x8inch baking tin.

In a bowl, mix together the oats and sea salt flakes. Set aside.

Melt together the butter, sugar, golden syrup and caramel sauce in a saucepan
over low heat. Stir in the oats and sea salt. Mix well and turn into the prepared
baking tin. Press flat with the back of a spoon and sprinkle a pinch or two
of sea salt on top.

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
Leave to cool for a few minutes then mark into 16 squares. Leave to finish
cooling in the tin.


*I use salted caramel sauce from Aldi and Waitrose. They're both good.
I've tried this brand before but for brownies. I think it would be great, too, but
I haven't been able to find it in any of the local supermarkets lately.


Thank you for your lovely comments on my previous post. I hope we'll have
 a really good spring season this year - lots of blue skies and sunshine and
not too much rain.

See you soon! x

Monday, 13 March 2017

Hello Spring!












I took these photos while out walking in Carr Wood last week. I really enjoyed
seeing all the early signs of spring - the first small buds poking through the ground,
fresh new leaves on tree branches, bright yellow flowers and snowdrops in bloom.
Little, wonderful things growing, bringing light and fresh new colours into every
corner of the woods. At home, I've re-potted some ready-grown primroses and tulips
 from the supermarket and tidied up a bit in the garden. I am dreaming of dahlias
for the summer but I'd be happy with geraniums and petunias again. I'm just glad
 that spring is finally getting here. Sunshine, flowers, mild weather - yes, please!

I hope you've had a good weekend. We didn't do anything new or exciting here,
just the usual things. Yesterday, while we were at my in-laws, it was sunny and
warm enough to sit outside and we did, with our coffees and cakes while the girls
ran around in the garden. It was really nice, a simple pleasure I'm looking
forward to enjoying more in the coming days and weeks.

Have a lovely Monday, see you soon!


Wednesday, 8 March 2017

Making in March


Hello, how are you? I hope you're well and March has started off all right for you.
 For today's post, I'd like to share with you the progress I've made with my two
ongoing projects. First off, my tapestry crochet.



I was only a few rows in when I last showed you this but it has now grown
and I'm actually not far off from finishing. I'm really pleased with how it's going.
I still have a lot to learn about this technique but I now feel quite confident with
the basics, including crocheting in reverse, and I think I'm ready to try new
patterns and designs.


I had a peek at the latest issue of Simply Crochet magazine while I was at the
supermarket and interestingly, they're featuring various colourwork techniques
including tapestry crochet. I think it's a fun skill to learn and it's great that it's getting
some attention. Hopefully more people will try it, too.


My other project is my Spring-themed cross stitch sampler. I've had to unpick and
change my motif for the letter 'S' - the dustpan and brush were supposed to be for
'Spring clean' but I was told they looked more like a comb and an upside down mirror
and they were not at all colourful like the other motifs, so they had to be replaced
with a pretty snowdrop. My two critics are happier with this and I have to admit,
so am I. And now that's done there's just one tiny motif left to stitch and then,
fingers crossed, it will be at the framers at the end of the week.  


So those are my two projects and I'm looking forward to having them both finished soon.

I haven't been around here much lately, it's been a busy old week with one thing after
another. Hopefully the rest of the week - and month- will be a little bit calmer, with less
mishaps and dramas. I'll be catching up with your blogs in the next few days -
take care and see you soon!