Wednesday 25 January 2017

Winter Stitching



Hello, how are you? I hope you're well and enjoying a bit of winter sunshine today.
It is sunny here this morning and it's actually not that cold which is a nice change
from the frosty and icy weather we've had this week. Anyway, today I'd like to
share with you my cross stitch project. I am making a spring-themed sampler
with motifs drawn from three different cross stitch books, most  of them from
Jo Verso's Cross Stitch Year.


This is a bit of a stitching adventure for me, actually. I've put together these
motifs to create my own little design which is new for me and I am also using linen
for the first time. I'm not sure how this will turn out, it might be a disaster,
but I am really enjoying myself and I am getting more and more used to working
on linen, so it's all good, so far.


The whole inspiration for this is Jo Verso's wonderful book, a Christmas present
from my parents in law. It's full of fun motifs and it encourages you to pick
your favourites and make your own design.  It's been a long awhile since I've done
any stitching or embroidery - I crochet a lot more these days especially in the
colder months - and this has been an inspiring way to get back to it and challenge
myself a bit too.


It is happily bringing back the simple joys of working with fabric, needle
and thread. Even in the gloomy daylight of January, I always still have a pleasant time
when I can sit down and do a bit of my cross stitch, especially when my radio
programmes are on and there's cake and a cup of tea next to me.


Hopefully all the motifs and colours I've chosen will come together nicely and
it will be finished and ready when Spring time comes around.

It's still sunny and bright at the moment so I'd better make the most of it and work
on this while I have the time. Thanks for stopping by here and for your comments
on my previous posts. Take care and have a warm, happy Wednesday!



7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sampler! It is lovely that you are choosing your own colours and motifs which will make it so personal to you. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be lovely and so personal to you having designed it yourself. I'm working on linen at the moment and I'm finding it okay now I've got used to it but I found the fabric rather stiff to begin with. I've since worked on some evenweave fabric and I much prefer that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your embroidery!! I used to do some stitching long time ago, but I'm not that good in it. Nevertheless I find it so beautiful to look at! You're stitches are so neat and straight, amazing!
    Wishing you a very nice day and thank's for visiting my blog,
    Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece Marion, this is so dainty and just right for spring. I have done cross stitch in the past, but never on linen. You paint a lovely picture of stitching away with the radio on, and your tea and cake, the perfect way to spend an hour. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful embroidery! It is a long time since I did any cross stitch but seeing your lovely work has tempted me to get a hoop and threads again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty already! I love the springy colours, they are so cheery to see in the winter. I find hand needlework so relaxing and especially good with tea and cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you've completed so far looks very pretty indeed, love the little violet. Tiny motifs chosen by you will make this a very special personal piece of work.#Enjoy your tea and cake as you progress.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete