Friday 6 February 2015

A cake for the weekend



Hello! I hope it's been a happy Friday for you. If you're planning to do some baking this weekend, I have a recipe here that you might like to try.
 It's for Moist Orange and Almond Cake, a firm family favourite.
 It is easy and simple to make, tastes delicious and as the name suggests, moist in a soft and lovely way. Plus you'll have the sweet
 scent of orange cooking filling up your kitchen and home,
always a nice bonus when you make this cake.


This recipe is from afternoon tea by Molly Perham.

Ingredients:

1 large orange
3 eggs
225g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
225g ground almonds
25g plain flour
Icing sugar, for dusting


1. Pierce the orange with a skewer. In a pan, pour over water
to cover completely. Bring to the boil then lower the heat,
cover and simmer for an hour or until the skin is very soft.
Drain, then cool.


2. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line with baking
 parchment a 20cm round cake tin. Cut the orange in half and
discard the pips. Place the orange in a blender or food processor
and puree until pulpy and smooth.


3. Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick. Mix together the
baking powder, almonds and flour, then fold into the eggs.
Fold in the puree.


4. Pour into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake
for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes
out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out on to
a wire rack, peel off the lining paper and cool completely.
Dust the top with icing sugar.


The book suggests serving this with whipped cream. It's already gorgeous on it's own but if you really fancy it, we think it will be very,
very nice with creme freche.

 Apologies for not having a photo of the whole cake. It was sliced
and served before I had the chance to do it when we made this
 a few days ago. This cake is always a winner in our house.
 I hope you'll like it too.


Have a great weekend everyone!



13 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect and definitely one to try out! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hope you have a lovely weekend :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I love almonds as well as oranges and I'm sure I'd enjoy this cake a lot. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Yum! Yum! I will be round for my slice!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I just now finally ordered a food scale - I never think about it, except for when I see a British recipe I want to try, which has been often the last few years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious. I love cakes made with ground almonds and I love oranges. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks yummy Marion, I will be trying this one very soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm!! Your cake sounds deliciously scrummy!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Absolutely love the sound of this cake. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks delicious. I often make the same cake over and over but will definitely try this one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds lovely, am ear marking this as a future cake for my crochet classes...

    ReplyDelete