Saturday 21 February 2015

Ginger Tea



I have a recipe here for ginger tea or salabat as it's known
in the Philippines. This is a popular hot drink back home particularly
during the cold or rainy season. It is a soothing brew and a good remedy
for colds and sore throats. A steaming cup or two of this will help you
if you're feeling under the weather. You'll also have the spicy aroma
of brewing ginger filling your kitchen and home which is a lovely bonus
when you make this tea.


The simplest way of making salabat is by boiling ginger in water.
 Over Christmas I found a recipe from the excellent book Memories of
Philippine Kitchens where apples and oranges are added to the mix and
 this is now our preferred way of making this. The added fruit lessen
the edge of the ginger and add sweetness to the flavour. I've sipped
many cups of this throughout the winter and have always felt warmed
and comforted especially when I was unwell. So here's how to make it 
based on the recipe from Memories of Philippine Kitchens.

You'll need:

approx. 65g fresh ginger, peeled and cut into small chunks
1/3 orange, cut into thin slices
1/3 apple, cut into thin slices

Place the ginger, apple and orange slices in a small saucepan.
Add 400 mls of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for another 5 minutes
or until the brew has developed a nice flavour. Strain through a fine
sieve into a cup. Add sugar or honey to taste. Orange juice also works
well as a sweetener.


This recipe makes enough for one large mug or two small cups.
If the ginger taste is too strong for you, just add a little more water
or sugar. However, if you want it more spicy pound the ginger
before boiling.


I hope you'll find this recipe useful and helpful.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!



10 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful, Marion. I'm sure it must smell heavenly when it's simmering too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really nice and warming! I often turn to hot honey and lemon if I feel shivery and cold, I will have to try this one. I keep a knob of ginger in the freezer as I think it's easier to grate when it's frozen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that recipe, it does sound so warming and soothing, I think I could do with a cup or two right now!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious and just the right sort of thing for a cold! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this sounds wonderful! I find that ginger alone makes me feel a bit ick, for whatever reason. I look forward to trying it, and can't wait for the lovely smell!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never thought about making my own ginger tea...sounds absolutely delicious! Thank you for the recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always curious about homemade Asian teas and remedies. This is so easy to make! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, love the sound of this, even if I don't have a cold. Might try it this week end x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit late here, but this looks lovely; I'll definitely try it! Thanks, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that recipe,Its really good.
    ginger tea | ginseng tea

    ReplyDelete