Tuesday 24 November 2015

A Crocheted Cowl









I've ticked another item off my Christmas making list this week.
 I've finished crocheting this cowl which I've made especially for my mother-in-law. I hope she likes it. It's been an easy and fun make and
the yarn, Drops Cotton Merino, is always a pleasure to crochet with.

 The pattern is based on the Stars Cowl from issue 57 of Inside 
Crochet magazine. I started off with the first two rows from the pattern. The third row has 'deep double treble crochet' stitches or ddtr in a different yarn colour to create the stars effect but I decided to just keep
 going with the first two rows. The cowl turned out much simpler and
not at all like the original but I prefer it like this. I like the fan-like
 pattern and the texture that had been created by the stitches and
 I'm pleased with it. The muted shade (it's beige) will go with various colours and outfits so hopefully she'll be able to wear this often.
 It measures about 98cm in circumference, not wide or long enough
 to wind round the neck twice but I know she likes to wear cowls
 draped down like in the photos here and I think it's just the right
 length for her - hopefully!

I'm currently making a very colourful cowl for Markie and I'm going
to start on the bunting soon.

 How's your Christmas making going?

 Take care and have a great week!


8 comments:

  1. It's really lovely, such a pretty stitch pattern and as you say, the colour will go with most things so I'm sure your mother in law will be able to wear it lots. Your crochet is so neat. I'm not making many gifts this year, just a couple of things for a swap as I'm short on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely lovely. Who wouldn't want to unwrap a gift like this on Christmas morning. I bet it will be very much appreciated and worn lots.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your MIL will get a lot of wear out of it, being such a neutral colour it'll go with lots of things. I like the way you adapted the stitch and the pattern to suit, I'd have been worried about doing that! I bet it feels lovely with the merino in the yarn. Hope you're having a good week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely, I do hope it is well received. I wish I could work out this crochet thing..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lovely shawl, your mother in law is lucky! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first visit to your lovely blog, Marion. I love your header.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete