Wednesday 16 November 2016

Orangey Chocolate Cookies


I have a recipe I'd like to share with you today. It's for chocolate orange cookies and
I'm chuffed to say that it's my own. Well, soft of. It's generally based on the double
chocolate cookie recipe from the hummingbird bakery cookbook but I've added
my own little tweaks and twists to it and it had resulted to these completely different
but so delicious chocolate cookies. These are soft and chewy with an orangey scent
and flavour, plus a lovely bit of saltiness in every bite. If you're a fan of chocolate
and orange, then I'd love for you to try these.


You'll need:

50 grams unsalted butter
325 grams plain cooking chocolate, roughly chopped
2 eggs
170 grams soft light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
85 grams plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
zest of 2 large oranges
75 grams raisins

You'll also need to grease and line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.


And here's how to make them:

Preheat oven to 170 C/325 F/Gas 3.

Melt the butter and 225 grams of the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over
a saucepan of simmering water. Leave until melted and smooth.

Beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. You can use an electric mixer
or do this by hand. Beat until well mixed. Pour in the chocolate mixture and beat
until both are well combined.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl. The sea salt granules are
usually too big to pass through the sieve so I just add them after sifting the flour
and baking powder together. Stir these into the chocolate mixture in 2 or 3 additions,
mixing well. Stir in the orange zest then the remaining 100 grams of chocolate
and also the raisins.

Place spoonfuls of the mixture spaced well apart on the baking trays.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. They're done when the tops start to crack and look shiny.
Leave to cool on the trays for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack
to cool completely.


This recipe makes about 15 cookies and they'll stay soft and chewy when
stored in an airtight container.


Everyone who had tried these cookies really liked them. They were well received
when my husband brought some to work and also by a friend and her family. So I really
hope you'll like them too. It's like the cookie version of Terry's Chocolate Orange,
but even better. Definitely much, much better.

Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. They look absolutely delish, but I have to admit chocolate orange is one of my least favourite combos. My mother in law keeps giving me those Terry's chocolate oranges for Christmas and I always end up giving them away!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, these look delicious Marion! That shiny, crackly top is very appetising. I would eat several of those with ease x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious. I make chocolate orange brownies which always go down well so I'm sure these would too. Nice to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO HAPPY to have you back here!! I will definitely try these, orange and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations. I love chocolate covered orange jellies!

    ReplyDelete