Tuesday 31 March 2015

This ladybird went to the ball



The Ugly Bug Ball that is.


This was the fancy dress day at Markie's school that I mentioned
in my previous post. Her class had been learning about mini-beasts
this half term and to celebrate this the reception children were invited
to come to school dressed as mini-beasts last Friday. Markie went
as a ladybird wearing the costume I made for her.

I've never made a costume before. For fancy dress parties, Markie
usually wears her beloved Elsa dress and Lulu wears fairy wings.
Luckily I found this cute ladybird apron over at Pinterest
(you can see it here) and this was my inspiration for Markie's outfit.
I've looked for the original designer and maker of this apron but have
 been unsuccessful. I would really like to credit whoever it was that
made this. Hope he or she doesn't mind.

Anyway this was what I made for my big girl: a ladybird pinafore.


On the back I added the wings.


 I lined all the pieces with calico and I also used light weight 
fusible interfacing for the wings so they're not too flimsy.

I worked on this for two evenings last week and I must say I really
 enjoyed the whole process, from drawing the pattern, cutting out the pieces, to sewing and adding the buttons. I'm also quite pleased that
all the materials that I've used were from my sewing stash, apart from the black spotty fabric which I bought for £1.50 for half a metre. 


Markie wore this over black leggings and a black shirt, and she had
matching pom-pom antennas too. I was a bit worried that she
wouldn't like it but she loved the whole thing (phew!) and she had
a brilliant time at the ball which is just fantastic.

This week we're busy preparing for Easter. We've put together
an Easter tree and yesterday I helped Markie decorate her entry
to the school's Easter egg decorating competition. I'm looking
forward to Good Friday and the rest of the weekend as well as
the school break. Some quiet, restful days at home with my girls
will be very welcome.

Thanks to everyone who has been visiting my blog, especially
lately, and for all your lovely comments. They're always very much
appreciated. I wish you all a peaceful Holy Week and a very
happy Easter!



8 comments:

  1. That is adorable! I love it. She must have looked so cute in it and I bet she felt great having such a colorful and unique costume. Really well done. Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's brilliant! Well done you, I imagine she absolutely loved wearing it. Very thriftily done too. I hope you have a lovely Easter. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!!! What a great costume, you are a great sewer!!!! That is a person who sews! I hope that you have a lovely Easter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That costume is just too adorable! I'm so glad Markie had such a wonderful time. Good job on using what you already had, I'm sure it helped that your stash is full of gorgeous fabric! I hope your Easter break is restful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you clever thing! It looks amazing! I bet she was the belle of the ball!....or should that be the "bug" of the ball?!?! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is sooo good Marion - I'm not at all surprised that Markie wanted to wear it! Well done!
    Have a good Easter
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really good Marion, I bet Markie really enjoyed wearing it to the ball! Have a lovely Easter holiday xx

    ReplyDelete